Published: 22/01/2024The start of every year brings new energy to the property market, so if you had no luck selling your home in 2023, take comfort that hope is still on the horizon.
As the nights get lighter and the market warms up, buyers and sellers start thinking about moving in time for summer, and our diary fills again with valuations and viewings.
It's a buzzing time, and if you want your second shot at selling to be a success, you’ve probably got a few burning questions, like:
- Is it a good idea to take a break from the market?
- What’s the real reason you didn't sell before, and what’s your competition now?
- Can you do anything to improve your presentation and chances of a sale?
- Should you stick with your original agent, or is it time for a change?
- How can you make your home look like a brand-new listing?
STEP BACK FROM THE MARKET
Taking a break for a couple of weeks can give you enough time to recharge your batteries, formulate a new plan, and make any changes for a fresh new start.
- Homes that are new on the market always generate the most interest: from buyers searching online, to automatic alerts from the property portals, and agents making calls.
- When a property has been available for several months, it becomes less likely to sell: it either fades into the background, or stands out as going stale.
- Stepping away for a short break will create time for the market to move on, for new buyers to come along, and to reset your home with a shiny New Listing badge.
REVIEW PREVIOUS FEEDBACK AND CURRENT COMPETITION
Comments from viewings offer valuable clues to why a home hasn't sold, even if you don't like what you hear. But there are extra tell-tale signs as well, so make sure you:
- Arrange a time to speak with your agent, perhaps in person over coffee, and review the feedback from every viewing: encourage total frankness to be sure of an accurate picture.
- Ask your agent whether they have any more thoughts about why you didn't find a buyer. If you only had a few viewings, was there something in the way of people coming to take a look?
- Check what similar homes to yours have recently sold and are on the market now to compare their qualities, price and marketing - does yours match up, or fall short?
RESTYLE, REARRANGE AND REDECORATE
If you’re relaunching your home after being on the market before, a fresh new look and feel will help catch everyone's eye, including buyers who might otherwise scroll on by because they've seen your listing before.
- Inject some on-trend style - swap cushions, throws and bedding between rooms to switch up your look.
- Use paint for easy and instant pizzazz: to hide scuffs, brighten a dark room, add a striking feature wall, or freshen up your front door.
- Move furniture around to open up sightlines, make rooms feel bigger and change their entire atmosphere - or create some extra space by removing excess pieces.
DECIDE IF IT’S TIME TO SWITCH AGENTS
Although the market in 2023 wasn’t ideal for selling a home, it may not be the only reason you didn't find a buyer, so it's worth digging a little deeper before you have another go.
- Think about your agent’s service and communication so far: how did they make you feel? Valued and informed, or ignored and in the dark?
- Ask for their ideas for a new campaign in 2024 to see how much energy and enthusiasm they still have and how credible you find their advice.
- If you feel they’ve run out of steam, the start of the year is the perfect time to switch to someone new: perhaps to your original second choice, or to an agent you haven’t spoken to yet.
REFRESH YOUR MARKETING
Whether you’re staying with your original agent or going with someone new, your home stands the best chance of selling when your marketing looks completely fresh, both online and offline.
- Get new professional-quality photos taken to show off your newly restyled rooms, and make sure there’s a mix of wide-angle and close-up detail shots to highlight standout features.
- Review your description to ensure it captures the true essence of your home, paying particular attention to the first paragraph: start with a bold headline and the biggest selling points.
- Explore if a new pricing strategy - whether up or down - could put you in front of more people by using the price search bands on the portals more effectively.
Are you looking to relaunch your move this year?
We'd love to show you how we can make a difference and get your home sold with a new start and fresh approach.
Call us to chat with one of our team, and let's get you back on track and moved in time for summer!
Tring office: 01442 820420
Berkhamsted office: 01442 863000